Friday, May 11, 2012

An error in time

Last week I had put together a flyer advertising our Big Burger Bash Festival.  It was pretty cute with happy burgers at the top and  green frogs playing instruments along the sides. I had checked to be sure all the information was correct, then took them to the printers to get copies made. As soon as they were printed, I took them to every store and business in town to be displayed. In the mean time I had also sent a copy to Betts to be used over the local TV.

After I got home, I had a call from Betts that I had a spelling error.  I had spelled Jack's Hangar with an e.  Of course the spell check didn't pick it up.  In the right context hanger works.  But not in this context.  Why I didn't pick up on that is beyond me.  Of course it isn't the first and it won't be the last time I spell a word incorrectly.  Sometimes they just don't look right, even if they are. Don't know if that is from looking at them for too long or not enough, but I just get them wrong.

Well, as an ex school teacher you just can't let those things go. It's a pride thing I guess. Anyway, I took my mom's old calligraphy pen and marched back down town and went into every one of those stores and business to correct the error. Quite humbling to that I need to correct a spelling error that I made for the whole town to see. So I would take them off the windows and fix them up, one at a time. I always asked permission first so they didn't think I was vandalizing or something. 

The interesting thing for me was how many great conversations I had with the store workers, getting their views on the economy in town and their take on the solutions. Well worth the time and effort.

It took two trips down town to catch them all.  Michael went with me the second time.  After looking at the corrected versions, he commented that they looked better before I fixed them. I'm sure they did, but at least anyone seeing them can't think they are smarter than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment