Friday, April 22, 2011

Some think I'm "churchy"

Guess I fit the stereo typical retired old lady.  I go to church often, teach Sunday school, etc. I don't worry about that.  My image just doesn't bother me with my friends, etc when they chide me about being "churchy".  I just do what I feel I want, need to do and don't worry about whether it's too much, too little or if it's what others think is necessary. 

But, it does cause me to tune in to others' needs a bit, which is what it is about anyway.  Jesus set the example and I must say I fall sooo short of following it.  However, I did notice a family of kids who go to my class sporadically.  Their shoes were in horrible states(toes sticking out, etc.) and their socks didn't match, if they had any on. The dad is raising them(4 kids) on his own, has lost his job, was evicted, lost his aide for his kids for various reasons of not meeting regs, etc. Anyway, the dad can be a redneck jerk, but the kids are really sweet.  They have been looking so sad lately.  So I figured a new pair of shoes might brighten their day.  The dad said he needed brake fluid, a new tire, a gas card etc..  He will always have needs, I'm sure.  But, the kids deserve better than the break they have been given. 

So tomorrow we're going to go buy new shoes and stop at McDonalds for lunch.  It's not a big thing by anyones needs.  But, for those kids it just might brighten their day, put a smile on their faces and make their Easter a little bit more special as they wear their brand, new shoes to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment