Sunday, July 29, 2012

Determination

I just finished watching the women's diving competition at the Olympics.  Amazing! That is what I have to say,"Amazing!"  How the human body can arise to such perfection! That is what is so wonderful about the Olympics.  How many of us ever push our body to such limits?

I talked to a lady today who had an opportunity to compete for an Olympic swim team when she was in college in the 60's. She regrets not taking that opportunity and deciding to come home instead. But she was that good. Now she competes for the challenge of her life as she battles cancer for the 9th time.

Determination.  That is what it takes, along with talent, of course.  But where would any of these athletes be without determination?  Where would any achievement, from the most amazing to the least impressive on the grand scale, be with out determination?

Coincidentally, just this morning I had a conversation with a very successful, millionaire businessman about that exact subject.  Determination.  He was commenting that that is the one factor that separates the successful from those who do not succeed at what they set out to do.  You will not succeed without it.

He referred to me and my determination to succeed with the plastics' recycling project. It is my determination that will make it happened he said.  He believes in me.

I happened to then recall the poster that Michael insists on having up on the wall in our den in Florida. Not very decorative, I always thought. A picture of a runner, of course, with the one word, "Determination". Think I'll keep it there.

1 comment:

  1. If there was a recycling event in the Olympics, you would get the gold!

    ReplyDelete