Monday, June 25, 2012

Crystal anyone?

I do believe summer has arrived in Lewistown, Mt. at last. It's up to fan temperature, but not air conditioner weather yet for me. It is during the evenings when you begin to feel the warmth. So I figure it is just a couple of hours and it will be pretty cool again.  That's one of the wonderful things about Montana for you. No matter how warm during the day, it is always cool at night. And I'd never complain after what the rest of the nation is going through.

Today my sisters and I worked on sorting through and cataloging, once again, all of Mom's French crystal. It has been sitting down in Anne's basement for years, taking up her space. I'm talking boxes and boxes of this stuff(I know, I shouldn't call fine French crystal "stuff", but by now that is what it is) and we are determined to try and find a new home for it this summer.   We were determined last summer, too, but didn't get anywhere.

Mom bought six sets of twelve each crystal wine, etc. glasses that only vary in size from one an other by 1/4". No exaggeration, 1/4 " from one size to the next! Now what is that about? They are listed worth about $60 to $70 a glass! So, here we are years later, we have no use for them, our kids have no use for them, the auctioneer has no use for them, the antique store in Bozeman has no use for them and so they remain packed away in Anne's basement, which is worth more to her than the glasses.

So, we took out the chipped glasses, counted sets of six perfect glasses of each size left, wrapped them back up and put them back down into Anne's basement. We feel like somehow we made some progress, anyway. We talked about the option that we have left, sell them on eBay. Everybody sells things they want to get rid of on eBay.  But we don't know how to sell them on eBay.

So, I told Anne that if everyone else can figure this out, then so can we. I know they have a book titled "eBay for dummies".  Maybe we can buy one on eBay.

One thing I won't tell Michael, though, is that I brought three boxes of the assorted crystal back to our garage to store for now. Our plan is to take a bit at a time to one  antique store in Gt. Falls at a time.  Maybe if we don't overwhelm them with the whole lot, they'll be willing to take it off our hands. I know, if I know what's good for me, I'll be motivated.





No comments:

Post a Comment