Sunday, June 26, 2011

What's in a Generation?

We had a mini family reunion picnic today.  Two of my daughters have been visiting, as I had previously mentioned, along with my sisters two daughters and her daughter's two grandchildren by marriage. Add to that my two sisters and our husbands. So an interesting discussion came up.  My niece's grandchildren are only a couple of years younger than my daughter's children.  Add to that, my daughters' boyfriends are closer to my age and definitely Michael's age then theirs.  Age and generations all seem so relative anymore.  Not to mention not so important as in the past.

I remember my grandparents.  There was no confusion with which generation they were in.  Or my parents.  I knew my grandmother was of the old generation.  She got one dress a year to add to her wardrobe and I would never be caught dead in anything in my mother's closet when I was a teenager. 

Ok, so there is no confusion in my kids' eyes about what generaton I'm in.  I always give away what generation I'm in by my comments about are they eating right or what they are doing about that cough, just like my dad always asked me if I ever gave off a little ahem.

One daughter had to remind me, when I memtioned a classmate that had passed away of natural causes,  that in fact yes I was of the age that people die of "natural causes".  Really, now?  I think that is all relative, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment