Monday, January 10, 2011

Arizona disaster

I have been disturbed by the shooting in Tucson.  Yet, I have been also encouraged by the new outrage against it that I have been hearing along the airways.  As I, many are deeply disturbed by the type of rhetoric that has led up to this event.  We rail at the insensibility and evilness of the talk we hear about Americans from the Taliban and Al Qaeda.  Yet we hear incendiary talk daily coming from our own citizens against their own just because they have a different political view.  Is it a wonder that our own fanatics or crazy people pick up on this tone and go the next step and actually do what others verbalize.  Some think their language isn't responsible for what has been happening and quote the first amendment rights to freedom of speech.  I say, where is your sense of decency and responsibility for your actions?  We expect our children to talk nice, yet some people believe that doesn't apply to themselves.  Wrong.  I hold all those who talk violence responsible for the violence that is carried out by others. I wait in hopeful anticipation that people will stop the eager listening to this kind of talk and demand that changes in political rhetoric begin today.

No comments:

Post a Comment