Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It really is quite simple

Okay, so I'm preachy.  When I was a kid I always gave my dad topics that I felt would make great sermons for him to give on Sunday morning.  I don't recall ever hearing him preach on any of them.  So I guess it is the frustrated preacher in me that keeps coming out.  And a blog is a harmless way for me to give my opinion without getting my lights punched out. 

So what about those Baby Boomers turning 65?  Talk about a drain on the health care system and your tax dollars.  Some are doing great,exercising, etc.  Sounds like more, however, are over weigh, diabetic, hypertensive and have all kinds of health issues from not taking care of themselves.  Sure things just happen as you get older, such as Michael's eye problem.  (Of course he'll never admit it.) Yet so much of their health problems are due to just plain laziness.  It is easier to eat out frequently than to cook a healthy meal.  It is easier to take the elevator than climb the stairs.  It is easier to sit around and watch TV than  to go for a walk or exercise.  Everyone knows what to do, but only those who can see the handwriting on the wall do anything about it.

It was a cold, windy mrning for a run, but I still go four miles in anyway.  It actually feels better than when it is warm.

So if your mom has been known to give good advice historically then I advise one to take her advise by maxing out a Roth account for 2010(not too late) and again in 2011 and putting the rest of a reserve into a Money Market for emergencies.  Remember, the byline "a sage of Montana" is such for a reason.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. Talked to my financial advisor today...thought you'd be proud!

    ReplyDelete