Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Curiosity

Curiosity. That is what keeps a person alive.  And I'm not referring to just keeping the heart beating, either. If you don't have any curiosity about the world around you, you may as well be dead, anyway. What could possibly be fun about a life cut off from all that has gone on in the past,going on today and the posibilities for tomorrow.

I'm reading an interesting book, "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford. I had always heard about the internment camps that all of the Japanese had been herded into during  WW II, but had never read much about how it all took place and how it effected those living around them. This book has been a real eye opener to a whole new world of events to me. 

That's why I like to read a variety of books.  I love to be able to think,"I never knew that before."  And I hate to read anything that has a predictable plot, much less stereo typical characters in them. I love the element of surprise and something new to think about. I thrill at new and intriguing information in what I read. However, I have to admit I like happy endings. I get into what I'm reading to the extent that it can affect my mood if it is terribly sad or morbid.

Last yea,r at this time, you could have put what I knew about recycling in a thimble. I merely went through the motions of putting things in the right bin because I knew I should and picking up any trash because I couldn't stand to walk around it. In a year I have not only found out how much I didn't know, but how much more I want to learn. It has been invigorating  and exciting to learn all about where it goes, how it works and what needs to be done in the future. I'm also learning volumes about how business works and the politics involved.

 The information is endless out there for exploring and delving into. And today we are so fortunate to have the Internet to help sate our curiosity. No more working through the volumes of out of date encyclopedias. How can anyone not have a mountain of questions about so many possible subjects to know more about? My only question right now is what will I explore next? That question excites me.

No comments:

Post a Comment