Friday, August 3, 2012

My hike today

My sister, Anne was going to do some backpack trail training with me today, but she has come down with a cold so I didn't want to push her.  She needs to get well before the over night trip next weekend that she looks to with dreaded anticipation. So I went out by myself, anyway.  It was a perfect morning for the training hike, cool with a threat of rain to hurry me along.

I strapped on the backpack and headed up the street to the trail leading out of town. The load seemed easier today, probably due to the cool weather and the fact that, hopefully, this training is beginning to pay off.

 As I trudged past the city cemetery I could see a gathering of mourners who were saying their good byes to a loved one. I said a little prayer for them all, understanding the sadness they were feeling, since my own Uncle Ernie just passed away last week.  It is always hard to think they are gone from your life for good. I had been looking forward to seeing him when we returned south this fall, realizing that it would probably be for the last time.

When I returned back down the trail later, they had all left by then.  Probably off to share a repast and stories of the one lost. That is a good way to keep them alive, even after they are gone. I always wonder what stories will be told about me when I'm gone.  I hope they will want to keep me a live in their thoughts, too.

I noticed how perfectly clear the surrounding mountains appeared today. The rain did its job last night. The Judith mountains looked so beautiful in the distance, the clouds over head casting long shadows over them. You would never know by looking from the distance the ugly tree clearing going on in their depths. Last year when we were hiking up the mountain we could hear the saws going and see the results.

Made me think about people.  We can look at them and be fooled by their smile and chatter, not realizing the pain and anguish that may be going on inside them. We just don't know the whole story that lies behind those eyes. Tells us something about why we shouldn't be so quick to take offense with people and give them some slack.

Before I left the trail, a deer and I startled each other. Then we just stood there and stared at each other. She eyeing me nervously, yet not moving.  And me not daring to move so as not to scare her away. I wonder what she thought of me?  I thought she was beautiful, with her shiny black nose twitching and a long scar along her back. I could only think what may have caused it. Finally she eased away to join the rest of her companions, waiting at a safe distance for her.

I would have enjoyed the company of my sister today.  I'm sure we would have chatted away the time.  Yet, it was a good time for me to enjoy my solitude once more. But, I hope she feels better quickly so she will be ready for the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I watched Broken Arrow last weekend. Fun to see the hills near Lewistown and think about all those famous people hanging out there.

    ReplyDelete