Saturday, December 1, 2012

Change is Hard

Change can be hard. I know, it can be good for you, but most of the time it is just plain hard to accept. The city is cutting down trees along the routes of the power lines this week.  It makes me cringe when I hear the saws cutting into those beautiful cypress trees and live oak I have grown to love since moving here.

The tree cutting has taken on some kind of priority, I suppose, because of the devastation caused by Sandy.  Now they want to be sure no vegetation is growing anywhere near a power line. I've been eyeing the workers critically, as I watch them hew a tree that I deem should be left alone. Especially in our wet land behind our house, even though it doesn't do me any good. I know, they know more than I do about hurricanes and what falling trees can do.

I just hate the bareness in the places where I have been used to seeing trees and what it is doing to our sound barrier from the road noise. I'm sure I will adapt and eventually think nothing of it, but right now it is really bugging me.

Some change that is happening, such as the melting ice sheets in the Arctic and the melt of the perma frost in Greenland scares me more than just annoying me. It makes you realize that some of these old movies depicting the devastation of our coastal cities could really become a reality very easily now. I know how it will impact everything, from population shifts to the economy, not to mention the environmental issues that will happen.

That kind of change I think we would all hope not to have happen.  I don't know if it is to late or there was ever anything we could have done to prevent this calamity, but I know it is change we would like to prevent, if possible.

Change can be great for us to stir us out of our complacency and begin improvements that are necessary for us to be better people and improve our world. Our world has always gone through constant change, some for the better yet some with results that we would never want to repeat. Are we going to get a chance to make the important changes for the better before it is too late?

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the trees behind your house! I am longing for peace and tranquility with a cup of coffee on the lanai.

    ReplyDelete