Thursday, December 13, 2012

They are How Old?

I have two friends who are octogenarians and one that is is on the cusp of the mark. They epitomize for me what I want to be like in another decade of life.  Two of these ladies above are at least 85 and going strong. It was their initiative to decorate both entrances to our island and what a tremendous job they did, too. Their choice of violet and red pointsettas speaks volumes about their zest for life.

So far I am on track to follow in their footsteps, barring any unforeseen mishap along the way. I try to increase the odds that I succeed by trying to keep a decent pace when running and doing some stretches along the way. Flossing is supposed to help, too. They say a predictor of how long you will live has to do with how long it takes you to get to the mailbox each day. I haven't done the math, but I think so far I have a long way to go before the grim reaper comes calling.

I remember my grandmother at 85 years of age. This is not an example of her at the same age. No one expected to live much beyond this then, much less be full of vitality still.  As wonderful and loved as she was, she would not have been able to be in this picture. However, from what I see, today's eighties are yesterdays sixties. To know my friends you would have to agree.

So I will continue to increase my odds and anticipate a long and healthful life for years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment