Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Minimalism

My daughter shared a website with me about two guys who advocate for living a minimalist life style. They have a free newsletter which I have yet to receive, but am curious about.

As I await my first look at what they have to say about living a simple life, I have been pondering what I would be able to live without. I think by some peoples standards in this country I already live minimally, to some extent.

I don't go out and buy Christmas decorations, but use what I have had since I was a teacher on the receiving end of ornaments given to me by students over the years.  Okay, they have passed the cycle of my life where they fit in, but with some tweaking I try to work at fitting most of them in. No wow factor in presentation, but suffices for a little atmosphere, anyway.

I have a palate that can easily be satisfied with peanut butter, pretty much.  Just slab on some PB and I'm quite content. Well, throw in a glass of milk and I'll be happy, anyway. And some carrots.

But, I've been thinking about what I would have some difficulty doing without. I just colored my hair for the first time in six weeks. I like it blonde and am not even curious about what I would look like with gray hair.

I don't like to be hot and I don't like to be cold.  So at some point I will turn on the air or the heat when I am uncomfortable. Of course it is a last resort and I will try either shedding or adding a layer of clothes first.

I try not to make a trip to the store for just a few items, rather waiting until I have an ample list to make it worth the gas. But, right now I'm thinking about driving to Crystal River for a couple of bargains for Christmas gifts for a loved one. Of course, I'll drop off my recyclables along the way.

I'm sure as I go through my day I will come across many things I wouldn't want to give up or stop doing. I admire those who can live life with less and still find it fulfilling, but going that route just for the sake of seeing how much I am willing to do without doesn't really hold any charm for me if I feel deprived. I am curious, though, about how these two guys navigate through life, minimally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment