Monday, December 3, 2012

Holy Ground

Yesterday, after church, I was asked to take communion to an elderly lady at a nursing home. Joan had recently had a stroke and had arrived a couple of days earlier. After asking about when I got there, I found her room off in a corner.

When I entered the room I saw a disheveled lady sitting on the side of her bed with her hospital gown pulled up around her middle, leaving her scrawny legs bare. She looked up when I introduced myself and I could see the serenity and intelligence in her face right away. She may have looked as though she would be disorientated, but she far from that.

Joan sat quietly, answering my questions briefly, as I sought to make conversation with her. She said yes she would like to receive the communion I had brought, so I proceeded to set up the elements as I continued to chat.

She didn't complain about only having one hand available, or apologize for her nakedness, but accepted the situation she had found herself in. She quietly joined me in prayer as I gave her the wafer dipped in wine. As I packed up my kit to leave, she thanked me for coming then continued to sit peacefully on the side of her bed.

When I left Joan, I felt as though I had been on holy ground. She gave me the peace and serenity that was her being. To look at her one would think what can I do for this poor lady.  But, it was the other way around. She gave to me instead. What a beautiful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment