Monday, December 5, 2011

It all just takes practice

When I began running in the 70's, it was really hard to even do a mile or two.  But, with time and consistency, it got easier and I got good enough to win a turkey or two at 5k races.  Ok, so Michael won the turkey and I won the pumpkin pie, but there is a point that I'm making that is more important than pumpkin pies and turkeys. (actually, once I did win a certificate for a turkey),  but I've digressed.

The point is that, yes, at first it may seem like a little more work to recycle, but it does get easier and more natural with practice. And it's just like a successful run, the feeling of satisfaction you get knowing that you are indeed doing something good for the earth, each other, and yourself respect. So, take the small moment of time from your busy day, rinse out the container and put it into something that can hold your recycleables until you take them to a recycling container around town.  Face it, you are going to go out sometime anyway.  So just take them along and drop them off.  No big deal and no extra gas since you are going out anyway.  Those who have curbside pick up should really feel embarrassed if they don't make just that small effort to take it to the curb with your other garbage.

We talk alot about what the world will be like for our children economically in the future.  What about what it will be like in their environment in the future? If we feel that we have a responsibility to give them a debt free world to live in, then why isn't it just as important to give them a world free plastic and other harmful things in our soil and waterways?  What will they do with a contaminated, dirty, polluted world even if they do have money to burn in their pockets someday?

And I did put the bucket in the shower with me today and collected a gallon or two. When Michael asked me what I was doing, I told him, "Just read my blog and you'll know!"

1 comment: