Sunday, December 11, 2011

Looong drive

I spent eight hours on the road yesterday.  Usually, when I spend that long on the road I'm going somewhere.  For enjoyment.  To stay for a few days. But, I drove four hours south by Ft. Myers to pick Michael up and he drove back for another four hours.  One of my last comments to him before he left for his bike trip was,"don't call me to pick you up."

After a day of flat tires, then finally breaking the quick release on the wheel so the wheel kept falling off, he checked into a seedy motel in La Belle, Florida, and called me.  He was far from any possible help for getting his bike repaired.  I could see why there was no bike shop around.  No one would ride there on purpose. It is in the middle of no where.  Not the intended route he had planned to take, but hoping he would be able to get as far as a town of size enough to repair his bike.

Needless to say, he was very happy to see me show up around noon yesterday. I think I could have asked for the moon and he would have given it to me.  Of course, I had rubbed a little salt into the wound by telling him of all the great shopping plans I had had with my friends for the day.

But, it is good to have him back home again, safe and sound. I worry about him a lot less when he is within sight.

1 comment: