Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Recycling Christmas

I got out all the Christmas decorations out yesterday.  I had forgotten how tired looking they all are, until I went over to Nancy's house for dinner the other night.  When I walked in, all I could say was,"wow!" and "ooh", and "aah!",she had such lovely, elegant decorations so pointedly place in each and every corner and  room. Her tree looked like it came from a Macy's window in New York City, like I remember seeing when I was a child. She said her daughter had come over and decorated for her, (sigh) and had it all done by the time she came home from shopping that day.

Now we'll take a look at my decorations, which I have had from the beginning of time.  Really. Our tree,(I might add was one a friend was throwing away because only half the lights on it worked.  So I took off the lights and kept the tree) which will be decorated by my grandchildren when they arrive, has an eclectic collection of what would be called "early teacher gifts" theme. I have saved every one of the decorations given to me over the years. As they each eagerly presented me with their gift, I assured them that every year, as I placed the ornament on the tree, I would remember the very special child who had given it to me. 

My memory of the name would last me for about five years, at best.  Then I would only remember that a thoughtful child had given it to me.

The rest of my decorations have been used and reused for ever, too.  I have some grosgrain, red ribbons that came on some beautifully boxed cheeses and nuts from one of those expensive catalog companies. The taste of those treats no longer lingers, but the bows grace every lamp shade in the living room.  I think they look kind of pretty and that I am pretty clever, until I saw Nancy's(or should I say, her daughter's, sigh) decorating flair.

I also have lots of gold, silver, red and green Mardi Gra beads that I have collected over the years.  Some I've given to grandkids, but I hung on to just enough to string around mirrors and things to add a note of casual elegance.

To finish up the theme, I have quite a few, not plastic but not silk either, red and white pointsettas, which were ready to be thrown out after serving their original purpose as table decorations at a party once, to place around my gently burned over the years candles. Not too bad, really.  Throw in a few mini, white lights and you've got atmosphere that you won't see in any Macy's window anywhere.

Now that's recycling.

1 comment: