Saturday, January 12, 2013

Good Genes

After fueling up with a bowl of oatmeal with walnuts, flax seed, raisins and apple, I took a bike ride to Hernando to round out my week while Michael ran eleven miles preparing for his next half marathon in Tallahassee.  Along the way I stopped at the Hernando Farmers' Market for some tomatoes and bananas.

How can you beat locally grown organic tomatoes grown in January? The bananas were nothing to shout about, though, so only picked up a few. There was a humongous bunch of kale I was eyeing, along with another shopper.  It was the last one, but too big for either of us since this was a first try for us both.  She was telling me about how to make kale chips, which sounded intriguing. With my bent for trying most anything healthy, we happily agreed to split the bunch and I took my half home to try.

You see, I was blessed with great genes, which I don't plan to throw away any time soon.  In fact I plan to do right by them for the duration of my life.  It only seems right since, I didn't do anything to acquire them.  Just the luck of the draw of good parents. I hate to say, but my brother had the same great genes, but he chose to throw his away.  I've always been sad for his choice, since he is missing out on so much.

So I will try my half bunch of kale, sans the garlic and salt I was told that makes the chips so delicious.  Well, maybe a trace of salt and a hint of garlic. But, don't tell Michael.  However, I'm sure he sweated out enough salt on his run this morning that it will do him good.  And the garlic, too.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having great genes 'cause I will reap the benefit.

    ReplyDelete