Monday, January 21, 2013

Here I go again!

My birthday went well yesterday, thanks to so many of you sending your best wishes.  It was a busy day with going to a local rendition of the musical "Nunsense" with my troupe of friends, followed by cheesecake and a glass of wine then dinner with Michael at the Outback. 

I noticed several times that "Happy Birthday" was being sung at different times through out the restaurant and they brought something that look pretty good to the honoree.  So Michael told the waitress that, not only was it my birthday, but it was my 72nd birthday. Talk about too much information! But we did enjoy sharing the hot fudge sundae they brought to me.

Yes, I'm still enjoying having birthdays with no compunctions. I figure another year is going to keep coming around until I'm done. And so far I have no complaints about any of them. If I'm older than some on this earth, all they have to do is wait and it will come around for them, too.  If they are lucky and play their life right. And if I'm younger than some, then I can be assured by their lead that it will be just fine when it is my turn.

You see, I believe that being happy has nothing to do with age, wealth or even health for the most part.  Studies have shown that the happiest segment of society is generally those with less, not those who have more.  They just accept and know they have to make the best of things.  They know that it is family and friends that make you happy and you don't need a fortune to have those.

Sure you have heard of the stereo typical old grouch, but I don't think they are any more prevalent than at any other age.  Just more verbal maybe, since sometimes they feel like they have lost their voice and aren't being heard.  If people take the time to listen to the seniors in their life they may see that they still enjoy a good laugh as anyone does.

Now health may be a bit different on the surface and I really can't say I have been there with issues much.  But, I have heard people who have been through pretty horrible stuff with their health say that, coming out the other side, they came out stronger and better for it.  Maybe coming to grips with their health issues is the key.  I wouldn't know and wouldn't presume to minimize anyone elses pain.

So, I'm now 72 and a day ( as Michael reminds me) and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment