Saturday, January 19, 2013

Living on the Edge


Yesterday, we were definitely living on the edge. For us anyway.  We began with going out to The Hen House, which used to be the Cockadoodledoo, for breakfast.  Something we never do, unless it is after a race that morning and I have earned it. You noticed I didn't say anything about going out and running or biking first, either.

But, yesterday it was just because Michael was tired of the same old fare around our kitchen and had a real hankering for some biscuits and gravy.  I never order the biscuits and gravy, mainly because it personifies the opposite of what I envision to be a healthy breakfast.

After glancing over the menu, however, I realized that a half order of that couldn't be any worse for you than a three egg omelet with hash browns and sausage.  Besides all I had to do was add a cup of fruit to justify my choice.

So after a trip to Walmart to fill the larder again, we just went home and hung out for the afternoon. I'm reading an interesting book on President Obama's life that I'm enjoying, but it is going to take a bit to get it finished by the time it is due at the library.  Around three or so, after having had no lunch, I got hungry enough to have a piece of chocolate pie. Okay, I had made it with skim milk, but it still wasn't what I would consider a proper lunch.

Later, I made a pizza for dinner.  Whole wheat crust, of course, and lots of veggies with sausage and polished off with a glass of wine. We both felt pretty daring, breaking all of our rules, but agreed that  once in a while one just needs to do that.

However, before bed I must add, that I did have to have a glass of milk, vitamins and four prunes. One just has to be sure not to go over the edge entirely, you know.

My daughter, Kathy, wove this scarf for me on her loom( the one I gave up on) for my birthday. It came just in time for the cold snap we have had and the Celtic/Maine concert that I wore it to Thursday night with my friends at the court house. I can't imagine the patience it would take to weave a long scarf like this with such fine yarn, but I will enjoy wearing it for years to come. Thanks, Kathy.  You are sooo talented!






1 comment: