Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Opportunistic me

Okay, a poor attempt, but I was eager to try to share the feeling of the fog on the trail this morning.  I see many things wrong, one being perspective.  I just didn't get it, but it doesn't mean I won't try again. In case you are wondering, those are cyclists on the trail. I want to be more of an impressionist, in case you are wondering.


I've decided that rather than be labeled as a minimalist, I think opportunist fits me better. It isn't that I relish living on a minimal standard.  I don't. Yes, I have a hang up with spending money on non needs.  I even woke myself up the other night stewing on that issue. But, that's another day.

But, I do like to take advantage of an opportunity when it avails itself to me.  Such as the grapefruit scenario. In fact, I picked up the last three grapefruit off the roadway this morning, since obviously no one else wanted them and they would only get run over or eaten by the ants.

Now saying that I am an opportunist isn't with the connotation that the term has taken on in resent years.  Today, it seems to imply that a person takes advantage of others and society as a whole. If they can get someone else to pay for it they will. That's not me.

The view of the word that I think applies to me is one who tries not to let opportunity escape me.  Of course, I realize I have an advantage, living during the cold months up north in the warm clime of Florida. Yet, if I were living in Montana in the winter time, after the snowfall I would be out on my cross country skies, happy as a penguin ( I don't think a lark would be happy in the snow). On a night with a full moon, I would be skiing in the moon light.

I try to take advantage of the good health I am fortunate to have and the food that I am able to buy: buying what I think is best for both of us.  I feel those are great opportunities that I don't intend to pass up.  I like to take advantage of the clothes that are in great condition that others take to resale shops, too. Why not? As you saw in yesterday's post, I'm not too proud.

I take the opportunity to recycle all that I can because it is a privilege I can use. I also take advantage of being with my friends when an opportunity is presented. We're spending girlfriend time several times in the next week.

Everyday opportunities abound and I really don't want to miss a one. Now doesn't that make me an opportunist?

1 comment:

  1. I like your stab at impressionism (is that a word?).

    ReplyDelete