Monday, January 14, 2013

My gain no lose

When I went out for my slow morning run, I right away noticed that Chuck had not been out on his bike picking up litter this morning.  Lately, I have been able to count on it and haven't had to pick up anything much,usually.

But, this morning there were water bottles ( curse the water bottles, but glad to see that Vermont has banned them) an aluminum can and Mac Donald's wraps. However, there was also bunch of grapefruit and oranges strewn along the side of the road opposite the groves. Someone had had a fun time picking and, pitching them, but not a taste for eating them, apparently.

Anyway, there I was trying to figure out how I was going to be able to pick up all the litter as well as a few of the grapefruit on my way home.  That gave me something to think about on the first 2/3rds of my trip. It helps to have something to think about when running to make the time go fast.

 I noticed that the trash can beside the trail had a full plastic bag in it, so when no one was driving by, I reached in, dumped the contents and stuck it into my pocket.

I was remembering the times that I would embarrass my kids by dumpster diving for lettuce behind the grocery stores back home when they were growing up and we were raising guinea pigs. They eat a lot of lettuce, believe me. The guinea pigs not the kids.

The first water bottle I picked up on the way back was full of tobacco spit mixed with the water ( curse the tobacco users). Icky eww! Then after a couple more bottles I was back to the fruit along the road.  After checking for on coming cars that may have someone I know in them, I grabbed up four of the grapefruit and threw them into the bag with the trash.  You can be sure that I would be washing them, as well as my hands, with a good soaping.

So after rinsing out the tobacco juice in the hose, recycling the trash and washing the grapefruit, I peeled and sectioned the first one.  And I have to say, it was mighty sweet and juicy.  Worth all the risk of being labeled a bag lady. Hope there are some left tomorrow morning. Maybe some oranges next time would be a nice treat.

1 comment:

  1. OMG. LOL.You are embarrassing your daughter still!

    ReplyDelete