Monday, April 2, 2012

Do the right thing

After taking an antihistamine for two days for my ant bites, I finally have my mojo back today. My morning run felt pretty good after lying around for two afternoons. I would never make it as a druggie I can say that for sure.  One little pill makes me feel like a zombie and I hate that feeling.  So today I'm back on track, getting things that need to be done whipped out pretty much. Now to just watch where I'm walking and stay out of ant hills.

I've been thinking about causes we take on.  Some people might say they don't want to recycle because they don't want to take on that obligation. They just aren't into jumping on to that "band wagon".  I understand how it is.  I may feel strongly about some particular situation, yet not really want to "get involved".  I don't want the obligation to "join" that such and such movement. Unless it effects us personally we usually aren't interested.

For instance, I don't want to join the SPCA or work at an animal shelter particularly.  But, I would certainly intervene if I saw someone mistreating an animal. Or I don't plan on joining any organization to protect children, but I certainly will stop someone from abusing a child and help provide for those who are without. There is no limit to the number of causes one could become involved with, I'm sure. We have to pick and choose what we feel is important enough for  us  to make a personal commit to.

So, the best way to figure it all out, I think, is to decide not only how it impacts us personally, but how it impacts the world we share. You don't need to join an environmental group or wear a t-shirt showing your support for clean air, etc.  However, just as with the mistreated animal and abused child, you have a moral obligation to intervene, you also have a social obligation to pick up  trash instead of ignoring it.  And you have a social obligation to take care of the environment by keeping plastic and other non biodegradable items out of our landfills. This is a commitment we, as a human race, owe to each other. We share our home planet and owe it respect  just as much as we owe respect to other living beings who share it with us.

It isn't just jumping on another cause or band wagon that happens to be out there. It's not joining up with some "group" because it's the "in thing" to do. However, you are doing a good and decent act that can only help make this world a better place for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment