Monday, April 9, 2012

Good bye, Florida!

Tomorrow we head out to return to Montana for the next six months.  There are two difficult days of the year, and this is one of them.  The other is when we prepare to reverse the process. It is always a bigger job then I remember it to be.  However, this year I have streamlined and condensed my pile of stuff I can't live without, hoping I don't regret it sometime during the summer.

It's not like you can just go out and replace something easily up in Lewistown.  The possibilities for shopping are pretty slim. But, then that defeats the entire purpose of learning to do with less and that is one of the goals that I have been trying to achieve.  It works like this: I stay out of the stores for one thing.  When I do go, I ask myself do I really, really like the item, do I really, really need it and do I really really want it? 

I think it would surprise consumers how little they actually go through that process and just mindlessly shop.  It is either out of boredom or the high they get from the bargain they think they are getting. What they don't realize is it isn't a bargain if it doesn't fit the above criteria, no matter what the price.

Now, I'm not saying I have never been in that frame of mind and that I don't go there from time to time still.  However, the awareness of this chink in the armor helps avoid it when the time comes. Actually, doesn't the hunter always say that it is the hunt that is more important that the actual kill?

Sitting out on the lanai for our last meals here I realize how much I enjoy the space and will miss it up north. Yet I know that once we settle in we will find aspects that we enjoy just as much in a different way. But there is nothing like having the various species of birds to commune with in Florida.  Not saying we don't appreciate the chick-a-dees that we have the challenge of keeping fed up north.

No comments:

Post a Comment