Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Smile

Out on the trail this morning, I noticed the faces of those who passed by. I felt especially recharged when I passed someone who smiled back at me and said,"Good morning!".  On the other side of the coin, when someone just plodded along and didn't even recognize my existence, I felt a little devalued.

So, I got to thinking about how true it is when you hear that smiling, not only makes you feel better, but sends fibs to others that they are ok, too.  I know someone who once was upset because a man passing her in the store told her to smile.  Obviously, she was sending a message, as she walked through the store, that she was unhappy and probably not that happy with someone else, too.

It isn't that I think we need to deal with life in an entirely Polliannic way, necessarily, but there is enough "real" life going on without a gloomy face  making it worse. I know that we can become so self absorbed with our problems that we send a negative message to others without realizing it.

So, be "in the moment" and look at your fellow human beings you encounter and give them you best smile.  You'll feel better and so will they.  Make their day!

No comments:

Post a Comment