Monday, February 20, 2012

Tomayto, tomahto

How ever you pronounce the word it is all the same tomato.  Doesn't change the nature or the truth of the tomato one bit.  Reminds me of the comment made by a political candidate about references to the Earth made by our current president.  Anyone who has any command of the English language at all knows that the word reverence means deep respect, not a bad thing to have for the God given treasure we were given to enjoy and care for.  I know the quote in the Bible says we should be good stewards of the Earth.  Why?  Because it is the God given home that is ours to respect.  When you respect something, you take care of it.  That doesn't mean that you worship the Earth any more than you worship anything else God made.

 Do I worship my husband?  Of course not, you say.  Do I respect him?  Sure, and I try to show him that respect by taking care of him; feeding him what will keep him healthy and encouraging him to take care of himself.  That's respect, not worship. 

So the meaning of tomato didn't change when I pronounced it differently. It was just another way for most of us to say something we would define as a delicious fruit we enjoy in so many different ways. Of course, some of us just don't like tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment